During mid-2017 after completing several very successful design and build projects for CUK, P&O approached us with a request if our designer Guri would work with them and develop a concept for a fleet wide upgrade of all of the Crew Lounge/Bar/Recreation spaces.
This culminated in the work package, design, and specification for the first vessel being Ventura going out to competitive tender. The new Crew Recreation Lounge would be called the ‘HUB’ and the works would be carried out in Brest, France during the March 2018 dry docking.
Along with an interior and external decks Passenger space and Crew cabins work package, Atlantic Marine Interiors was also awarded the contract to build the first of the Crew ‘Hubs’.
The total area of space was some 500M2, very large for a Crew Recreation Room, but ideally suited for the multi themed use design which would include a new:
- Bar and delicatessen, purpose-built food and beverage unit, with fixed and loose furniture
- An easy seating movie area with big screen TV
- An electronic gaming area
- Dance floor
- Pool table and dart boards
- Hobby area Library with quiet seating
- Complete new AV system throughout including a new DJ boot
- Loose and fixed furniture throughout
- Art, signage, and a Crew ‘photograph wall’
Our multi trade personnel and Management team boarded the vessel in Southampton for the one day voyage to the Ship Yard. Several members of our logistics team had already travelled to the yard to prepare for the smooth loading of our materials, tools and plant upon the vessels arrival.
Over the first 2 days we completely stripped the space of all existing furniture, wall, and floor finishes, 40% of the deckhead, AV system, ceiling and wall lighting and modified bulkheads and doors. We then proceeded to re-build and create the new ‘HUB’ with new:
- AV and electrical systems
- Deckhead Wall and ceiling lighting
- Feature ceramic tile and digital wall covering for the walls
- Fire rated double glass and single leaf doors
- Fixed furniture including the now ‘famous’ beach huts!
- Mahogany Hard flooring, carpets and feature ceramic floor tiles
- Loose furniture, pool table and dart boards
- Bar top, back bar, delicatessen unit
- Soft furnishings, signage, and art
The project was completed, and contractual handover achieved on time, with the new HUB being officially opened by Mr Josh Weinstein the President of CUK.
The design was hailed a huge success and has now been recreated on some five vessels.